Summerhill Architectural Conservation Area
Built in the 1730’s by Hercules Langford Rowley, Summerhill House was twice burnt in the C 19 and C 20 and finally demolished in 1970. The granting of patents for a fair at Summerhill to H.L. Rowley by George III in 1780 most likely coincided with the planned development of the village. Lewis, writing some thirty years later, said that Summerhill contained 49 houses and 331 inhabitants, had a constabulary police station and a Presbyterian meeting house
The street pattern within Summerhill reflects the planned estate layout associated with Summerhill demesne to the south. The village green is bounded by rubble limestone walls to centre and concrete bollards with iron chain to north and south ends. It includes a cast-iron waterpump to north-west, Celtic Revival high cross to north end and a medieval cross.
The green is framed by townhouses of varying architectural styles and together with the alignment of the main axis of the village to Summerhill Demesne, this has created a village character of a very high quality. The stands of deciduous trees also contributes to the special character of the village.
The existing three-storey Georgian houses and single-storey estate cottages date to the late C 18 and C 19 and add significantly to the character of the village. Buildings are for the most part plastered and painted, with slate roofs.
- To preserve the character of the village by requiring that the height, scale, and design of any proposed development within the village should complement the character of the village and its open space, and not diminish its distinctiveness of place.
- To encourage the removal of visually intrusive elements such as overhead cables and inappropriate signage.
- To require the preservation and re-instatement of traditional details and materials on existing buildings and the streetscape where improvements or maintenance works are being carried out.
A detailed statement of character and planning guidance is available to download from the website.