Oldbridge Architectural Conservation Area
Overlooking the site of the Battle of the Boyne, Oldbridge Hall is located on a bend in the Boyne which allows it to enjoy two views of the river. It is located very close to the remains of the obelisk built at Oldbridge as a memorial to the Battle of the Boyne in 1690, which was fought in the locality around the house. Consequently the site is of significant historical interest and National importance. Its location in the buffer zone of the World Heritage site of Bru na Boinne gives it additional status.
The lands at Oldbridge were held by the Moore family (later Earls and Marquesses of Drogheda) in the 17th Century. The Coddington family were established in North County Dublin since the 17th Century. In 1729 John Coddington purchased the Oldbridge Estate from the 5th Earl of Drogheda and the family made their home there until a series of raids on the house in the 1970’s forced them to leave. The house has not been lived in since, and the house and estate have been sold to the State who are restoring the house in association with the site of the Battle of the Boyne.
Although quite plain in exterior appearance, the architectural quality, design and symmetry of this house are apparent. Oldbridge House is reputed to have been designed by George Darley. The 1832 alterations were carried out by Frederick Darley, a relative of the original builder. The layout of the estate’s farmyards and labourer’s houses is of a high standard and the house forms an interesting group with the related outbuildings, entrance gates, lodge, and the octagonal garden.
The Boyne canal and tow path encircle the estate on the north and west and feature a number of canal related structures, including locks and fish wiers.
During the emergency of the 1940’s a number of fortifications – blockhouses and machine gun pits were built along the Boyne, the highest density being within the Oldbridge estate.
- To preserve the character of the demesne, its designed landscape and built features by limiting the extent of new development permitted within the demesne and requiring that any such development respect the setting and special qualities of the demesne.
- To require that all works, whether of maintenance and repair, additions or alterations to existing buildings or built features within the demesne shall protect the character of those buildings and features by the use of appropriate materials and workmanship.