Slane Mill Architectural Conservation Area
Slane Flour Mill was built by William Burton Conyngham, Blayney Balfour (Burton Conyngham’s neighbour at Townley Hall) and David Jebb a local miller and engineer. The mill, a very large but well proportioned building in the style of a country mansion, and the miller’s house, rather like a grand glebe house, were both completed by 1766.
By the mid-nineteenth century the mill ceased to function as a mill and was used as a general store instead. No longer attractive or profitable as a corn mill the building was adopted for cotton manufacture in the early 20th century. The mill-house ceased to be used as accommodation for the managers and is now a small hotel operating primarily as a wedding venue.
Summary of Special Character
The Slane Mill Complex ACA forms an integral group of industrial buildings, waterworks, engineering works and terraced residences, all located in an unrivalled setting of natural beauty. The mill building and its associated waterworks are a focal point within the ACA. An exceptional example of an intact purpose-built industrial building dating from the beginning of the rural industrial revolution in Ireland, the mill and its site is of national importance
- To preserve the character of the area, its natural and designed landscape and built features by prohibiting any development which would have an adverse affect on the buildings or their setting.
- To protect the landscape setting and the views to and from the complex.
- To require that all works, whether of maintenance and repair, additions or alterations to existing buildings or built features within the area shall protect the character of those buildings and features by the use of appropriate materials and workmanship.
A detailed statement of character and planning guidance is available to download from the website