Longwood Architectural Conservation Area

Dúnta18 Nol, 2019, 12:00 - 6 Már, 2020, 16:00

Historical Development

Longwood is recorded as a possession of the Hospital of Crutched Friars of St. John the Baptist, at Newtown Trim, at the dissolution of the monasteries in 1540. A fair was granted by James 1 in 1611. By 1884 the main street has become more formal with the addition of the Constabulary Barracks and the school house.

Built Form and materials

The village has a very wide main street with the attractive Garda Station framing its western end. Beyond this lies the impressive tree lined fair green. The village green is located at the junction of Bog Road and Dock Road.

The Main Street has wide and generous proportions with its two-storey buildings which give an air of importance that is well balanced with its rural village function.

The prevailing building materials are rendered and painted facades with hipped and pitched slate roofs. Timber was originally used for windows and doors and as such forms standard elements of the archetypal shop-fronts. Some buildings within the ACA retain these which add to the visual richness of the area.


  1. To preserve the character of the village and its setting by requiring that the height, scale, and design of any proposed development within the village and in the surrounding area should complement the character of the village and not diminish its distinctiveness of place.
  2. To require the preservation and re-instatement of traditional details and materials on existing buildings and the streetscape where improvements or maintenance works are being carried out. 


A detailed statement of character and planning guidance is available to download from the website.

Clár ábhair